Skip to main content

CBSE region topper from SBOA School and Junior College, Chennai




I woke up this morning to the newspaper's headlines "SBOA student tops Chennai region" I was so curious, I dropped everything that needed to be done and read the articles back to back! I'm patting myself on the back for putting my kid into a school that does take the trouble to produce toppers........

There is a lot of bashing going on about how schools 'torture' students for a 100% pass and state ranks, but not many talk about how 1 mark difference can push you down by 1000 ranks in the competitive cut offs for colleges.

Can we really blame the School for going that extra mile to produce good results? After all isn't this the only criteria most parents look for when put their ward in one? In my opinion if I'm given the choice to alter my destiny in a few years time, I would give it my best, night and day! So Is burn out a non issue? CBSE has done a good job by offering varied streams to opt for based on one's interest, so a little competitiveness and coaching in doing something that you like should not lead to a burn out.

The main cause of a burn out is usually doing something that you are not cut out to do. So I think it's vital for parents to guide their wards in their respective areas of interest. In most Fields, the pay for the top posts are usually similar. So instead of following the 'herd mentality' try to tailor the options to your wards areas of interest. It would make a world of difference to their future happiness!

Photo Courtesy : Unsplash

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

LKG Admissions @ SBOA School and Junior College 2012 - 2013

I'm putting my second child in SBOA this year, and the first round of admissions are in progress. My! the fees have gone up this year, but looking at the other schools, including Matric schools, SBOA has managed to keep the fees lower than the city average. The admission process was smooth and quick. We finished meeting the Principal in about 30mins from the time we got there. All that's left is, to pay the fees and start the joining formalities. I'm glad that my kid got in, as I already have another child studying in 1st Std in SBOA. She enjoys going to school. At 50 kids a class, it is a crowd but their systematic way of doing things more than makes up for it. Good luck to all those applying for admissions @ SBOA this year.   For more info check at the below site http://www.sboajc.org/admission.html Photo courtesy Stuart Miles @ freedigitalimages.net 

First day at school......

Finally the day had arrived and gone too without much fuss, my kid didn't cry but missed out on her snacks and was famished when I went to pick her up. The day for her seemed to have gone fairly well given the fact that she was without me for the first time. I guess I missed her more than the other way around! As for the activities, they sang a couple of well known rhymes, "Johnny, Johnny yes papa, Jack and Jill & Rolly Poly", they were allowed to play ball and played a sit & stand game. So the first hurdle has been crossed!

To Market, To Market to buy a Great Bag

Whoever thought Bag shopping would become such a big event! I just discovered that my 3 year old has preferences in the style of bag she wants to take to school ! all this without any peer influence as of yet! God help me when that happens too! Jan sport was my choice of bag, but the cost factor made me look at other options too, as you might have already guessed, nothing matched up! Then Lo and Behold, we did find the perfect first school bag at Reebok, Besant Nagar , at a cool price of Rs.360 ( MRP Rs.599 with a 40% discount) a Red and Black one that fit her like magic! Harry potter isn't the only one who is school supplies shopping with wonder in his eyes! With that put behind us, now it's on to Lunch box, water bottle , lunch bag, pencil box, hair accessories, etc, etc. If any of you had luck with these, let me know...... Photo Courtesy :  Published in Young Nation Magazine